Ana Vujović, PhD
Teacher Education Faculty
University of Belgrade, Serbia
Ana Vujović is a full-time professor at the Teacher Education Faculty, University of Belgrade. She teaches the following subjects: French Language, History of French Civilisation, and Contemporary French Culture. She received her PhD at the Faculty of Philology in Belgrade, Department of the French Language and Literature and the title of her PhD thesis was Elements of French Civilisation in the French Language Textbooks. Professor Vujović’s areas of research include: methodology of teaching and learning the French Language, elements of foreign culture in the foreign language instruction, Serbian-French cultural relations and cooperation, French Language as a language for specific purposes. She was a visiting lecturer at the universities Sorbonne IV and Lion I – Claude Bernard. Professor Vujović is the president of the University Teachers of the Language for Specific Purposes Interest Group within the Foreign Language and Literature Association of Serbia, member of the editorial board of the scientific journal Teaching Innovations, and also a member of the Supervisory Board of the Foreign Language and Literature Association of Serbia and of the Society for Cultural Cooperation between Serbia and France.
- Српско-француска сусретања, Teacher Education Faculty, Belgrade, 2011.
- Франкофонија у свету и код нас, Teacher Education Faculty, Belgrade, 2014.
- Éveil aux langues dans l’enseignement primaire en Serbie », Porta Linguarum, Revista International de Didactica de las Lenguas Extranjeras, Universidad de Granada, n° 18, junio 2012, 177-190.
- L’avenir de l’enseignement du français est-il dans la professionnalisation ? », La Jeunesse francophone – Dialogue des langues et des cultures, C. Condei, C. Despierres, Ch. Teodorescu, J. Zajac, M. Ardeleanu, L. Collès (éds.), Editura Universitaria Craiova et Agence Universitaire de la francophonie, Craiova, 2011, 152-162.
- La formation dans le domaine du FOS », La formation professionnelle des futurs enseignants de FLE: enjeux et stratégies dans la zone Europe centrale et orientale, Craiova: Editura universitaria, 2013, 65-75.
Description of the plenary lecture
Foreign language for specific purposes and professional development of preschool and primary school teachers
The paper looks at differences between general foreign language courses and courses of foreign languages for specific purposes (including foreign languages for academic purposes) from a theoretical perspective, and explores the role and significance of learning foreign languages for specific purposes in the context of the development of modern professional competencies of primary school and preschool teachers. As part of the researcher’s endeavour to determine what kind of foreign language competencies teachers need today and what kind of teaching materials and the curricula would meet their needs, two stages relevant for developing the curricula and teaching materials are analysed in the paper: 1) analysis of the target group and its needs, wishes and expectations; 2) collecting and analysing the relevant teaching materials. By applying descriptive method, the paper presents the most important needs of students, future preschool and primary school teachers (which mostly relate to the ability to use professional literature, and the increasingly frequent opportunities offered by the international mobility programmes at tertiary level). The ways of developing the curricula and teaching materials are also explored. A comparative analysis of the foreign language curricula currently used at teacher education faculties in Serbia is followed by the concluding remarks in which several ways of improving the current situation are proposed. Our goal is to demonstrate that in a professionally oriented foreign language instruction, the language itself is not only a means of communication, but also a medium for the transfer of scientific and professional knowledge, an instrument for improving the cultural and professional competencies in all their aspects.